Kalakand (Indian Cheesecake)
Kalakand is a traditional Indian dessert made by solidifying milk and sweetening it. It is rich, creamy and moist. It is made with just 3 ingredients milk, paneer(chenna) and sugar.
- 1 lit whole milk for reducing
- 1 lit whole milk for chenna
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped almond and pistachios
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 7-8 strands saffron
Boil another 1 litre milk in a separate pan. After 1 boil switch off the flame. Add 2 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to curdle it.
Milk curdles and separates water. (you have to stir it)
Strain it in a cheesecloth/muslin cloth. Water drained can be used as stock in cooking.
Now rinse and squeeze out water from chenna. You can ue this chenna to make kalakand.
If using market bought Paneer/cottage cheese/Ricotta cheese
When the milk reduces to half add the crumbed chenna or store bought cheese ti it.
Stir it well to incorporate well and allow it to cook with the milk. Keep stirring.
Upon reducing it further to half add sugar to it and keep stirring. the mixture will liquify a bit. Add cardamom and saffron and keep stirring.
Keep cooking until the mixture starts drying up. We have to keep the mixture moist and make sure it comes together without drying it up completely. It should easily fall off the pan.
Now grease any tray/plate/pan and pour mixture into it. spread and flatten it evenly with a spatula keeping it atleast 1/2 inch tall.
Garnish it with dry fruits and mark small square cuts on it.
Allow it to set and cool down. You can even refrigerate it if you like it chilled.
Upon cooling you can decorate it with chandi ka bark (silver leaf)
Enjoy this delicacy when moist and fresh!!
- Milk should be full cream for better results.
- Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- You can either make fresh chenna or use paneer/cottage cheese/ricotta cheese.
- Do not dry the milk completely. The kalakand will harden.
- When using Paneer soften it with a hand /immersion blender.
- You can also make instant Kalakand with Condensed milk and ricotta cheese. Just cook them together and set. (No milk,sugar/chenna required)