Traditionally appe is made by soaking rice and lentils and then making a batter and fermenting it just like dosa or uttapam batter. These appe are instant appe and are made using oats. Because of oats they are a low calorie and healthy breakfast.
They are super simple and comes together in very less time. I soaked the oats for 5-6 hours in yogurt but they can be made by using instantly too. 1 teaspoon baking soda can be used to make instant appe.
They tasted delicious and served with mint coriander chutney they were a healthy and a refreshing summer breakfast.
Let’s check the recipe in detail.
Oats Paniyaram / Appe
- 1.5 cup Oats Any
- 1/2 cup Sooji/Semolina
- 3 cups Buttermilk or 1 cup yogurt+2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Poha (Flattened rice)
- 1 teaspoon Green chilli paste
- 1/2 Onion (Diced)
- Coriander (finely chopped)
To soak for 6-7 hours or overnight
- Mix together Oats, Semolina and poha.
- Add buttermilk/yogurt and soak them well for 7- 8 hours. Mix it well until pouring consistency not too thin.
- After 6-7 hours check the batter. If too thick you can add a little bit of water
- Now insert a immersion blender and beat the batter . I used the crushing blade to make it a little smooth.
- Now add chopped onions, green chilli paste, salt and coriander and make a thick flowy batter.
- Heat the appe pan. Add a teaspoon of oil in each compartment.
- Pour a spoonful of batter in each and fill it up to the edges.
- Close the appe pan with a lid and cook on medium flame for about 7-8 minutes or golden brown.
- Now flip the appe and allow it to sook from the other sides.
- The appe are ready to serve when cooked well from both the sides.
- Serve them with your favourite chutney/dip/ketchup. I made a tangy mint coriander dip to serve with.
- You can use either buttermilk or 1 cup of unflavoured yogurt and 2 cups of water.
- You can grind the oats and poha before you soak.
- Instead of poha you can use 2 tablespoons of rice flour.
- Batter consistency should be thick but pouring.
- They are super delicious and healthy for breakfast.
*Vegans can use vegan yogurt or buttermilk or coconut milk for the recipe.
Check out our other recipes on the blog
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com