These little nuggets are a great vegetarian snack. These are a best and simplest way to help my family develop a taste and love for new veggies. These are similar to the popular kothimbir vadi (coriander nuggets) replaced with Bottle Gourd. Not everyone likes bottle gourds so tried these nuggets to help them eat bottle gourd in a healthy way. Some popular bottle gourd recipes on the blog are
Generally these nuggets are fried but I first steamed them then sauteed, so very less oil consumed. Plus it retains the food value and helps healthy eating. They are a great vegan appetizer and 100% Gluten free too.
Pop them with ketchup in snacks or serve them as a quick Vegetarian appetizer , and I am sure you will love them. You can make the same nuggets with chopped spinach leaves or Coriander. The same recipe just replace bottle gourd with spinach or coriander and skip carrots.
Some popular appetizers on the blog are
How to store and serve
This recipe has changed my family’s taste for bottle gourd. It’s gluten free and extremely healthy. It’s a great way to start the day with these healthy nuggets or serve them in your party appetizers. I love the fact that it can be frozen. I make them in batches and freeze them in zip locks. It can be easily thawed and served anytime, even my impromptu guests.
Let us check the detailed recipe below
Dudhi Muthiya / Bottle gourd nuggets
- 1 medium sized bottle gourd peeled and grated. (To use immediately, not to grate before as it will turn black)
- 2 small carrots peeled and grated
- 1.5 cup besan / chickpea (chana) (Gram) flour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1/3 cup chopped coriander
- 2-3 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp citric acid
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves (optional)
- Peel and grate the bottle gourd and carrots. (I used a food processor)
- In a mixing bowl take the grated veggies. Add chickpea flour, semolina, yogurt and oil. Add the green chilli paste, ginger, salt and citric acid or squeeze half a lemon. Add coriander and start mixing it.
- The mixture will be forming a soft dough as you mix it. It will be sticky and a little flowy.
- Do not use water at all. The water content in bottle gourd is enough to firm it.
- Keep a steamer with water in it to boil. Keep a steaming plate on it and grease it with oil.
- Make big dumplings of the dough and place it on the steaming plate.Cover the lid and steam it for 10-12 minutes.
- After, remove it from the steamer and allow it to cool.
- Cut the rolls in small pieces.
- Deep fry them until golden and crispy OrTemper
- Take oil in the tempering pan and heat it. Crack cumin seeds , curry leaves and sesame seeds in it. Add the nuggets to it and give it a good toss. The seeds cover all over the nuggets. Now allow them to saute a bit. We like it crispy so I keep it for a little longer to make it golden brown.
- Serve it with ketchup or a your choice of dip.It tastes good with Coriander Chutney dip too.
- Use the grated bottle gourd immediately , if kept grated and unused for long it will turn black.
- If the batter is too flowy add some more gram flour (besan) to make a soft dough.
- Yogurt keeps them soft too.
- You can make the same nuggets with chopped spinach or coriander leaves. Recipe same as above replace bottle gourd with spinach or coriander and skip carrots.
- These can be deep fried too. But to avoid excess oil I saute them.
- You can use grated onions too if you like.
Bottle Gourd aids digestion, helps weight loss, reduces stress, keeps your body cool and refreshing. It is an extremely versatile and healthy vegetable.
It is rich in dietary fibers. It promotes weight loss. it is extremely low in fat and cholesterol. It’s mainly water so a great natural thirst quencher. Its rich in Vitamin B and C and also rich in Iron. It also contains sodium, potassium and all the essential minerals.
Check out our other recipes on the blog
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com