Kairichi dal/ Ambe dal is a Maharashtrian side dish made particularly in summers when Raw mangoes are in season. It is made by adding unripe/raw mangoes to churned Chana dal.
It is super quick , easy and has a lot of health benefits. It’s perfect recipe to kill the heat. Along with churned chana dal and raw mango , green chillies , ginger , coriander are few other blends which add a great taste to it.
It tastes spicy, grainy and tangy. It’s absolutely refreshing on a hot day and can be served along with usual meals. It is a traditional recipe and is made during festive times. Check out the other Maharashtrian festive recipes like puran poli, Kondule, Kothimbir vadi etc. on our blog.
These recipes are made with a purpose and bare a scientific reason to cook with and season to follow. They are delicious and are extremely healthy.
What goes in Ambe dal
Amba means mango. Kairi means raw mango, hence the name ambe dal/ kairichi dal. So raw mango or tart and tangy mango is used in a grated form and mixed and incorporated along with soaked and softened , coarsely ground chana dal. It is blend with ginger, green chilli and coriander and is flavoured with an extra tempering. The temper of mustard, curry leaves and chilli adds an element to this dip.
I have made a fine paste of it as the raw mango here could not grate well. But you may opt for either.
Coarsely ground paste of dal and grated raw mango tastes classic!!
So let’s check the super simple recipe of Kairichi dal.
Kairichi dal/Chana dal with raw mango dip
- Mixer grinder
- 1 cup Chana dal/Split Chickpea/Bengal gram dal
- 1 cup Chopped or grated Kairi/ Raw Mango
- 1 Tbsp Green chilli paste
- 1 inch Ginger
- Pinch of asafoetida optional
- Pinch of turmeric optional
- Finely chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 Curry leaves
- 1 dried red chilli
- Soak 1 cup of chana dal in water for at least 2 hours or until it becomes fluffy.
- After to hours strain the dal and remove all the water.
- Now in a mixer grinder add the dal, 1 cup chopped raw mango, chilli, ginger, turmeric, asafoetida and grid the dal without any water.
- If using grated mango do not add it while grinding.
- Grind it until grainy not a paste. No water because it will be flowy. Water in the soaked dal is enough to grind it.
- Now add salt as per taste and add chopped coriander.
- If using grated kairi / raw mango add it now and incorporate it well in the dal.
- Heat oil in a tempering pan.
- Crack mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilli and pour it on the dip.
- This dip is ready to serve. It is normally served with meals.We like to have it just like that.
- If using grated kairi/raw mango do not grind it with the dal. Mix it later in the ground dal.
- You can keep it coarse if you dont like a fine paste.
- You can refrigerate it for upto 7 days in an air tight container.
Also check our other Maharashtrian recipes
- Kanda Thalipeeth
- Katachi Amti
- Kothimbir vadi
- Vada pav
- Kairichi dal/ Ambe dal
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com
For latest updates on veggie.bites follow veggie.bites on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest
Enjoy healthy eating 😋