This soothing dish is my personal favorite! It’s the most light vegetarian dish when I want a super comforting food. Lunch or dinner I can have it on almost anytime.
It’s delicious, and it’s full of protein and fibers. It’s a very popular dish among Indians. The recipe is super simple and can be made in one pot. It’s a perfect source of dietary fiber and vegan food. Unlike black eyed peas / Lobia this is one of our family favorite meals.
You can make it in an instant pot with the minimum ingredients and less time. You can have it with your choice of bread , roti, or rice or just a liquid diet of plain soup. it works great anyways and kids will love to eat it too.
Lets check the recipe
Green Lentils soup
- 1 cup 1 cup split green moong /Whole green lentils
- 1 carrot chopped/diced
- Ginger garlic paste
- chopped onion
- Curry leaves (optional)
- Cumin seeds
- Lemon juice
- Slit cut green chillies/Red chilli powder
Instant Pot lentil
- Heat oil/ghee on sauté mode in the instant pot. Crack cumin seeds and curry leaves(optional)
- Add ginger garlic paste , slit cut green chilies, and chopped onions and sauté for about 20 sec.
- Add the carrots and some spices at this stage if any like pepper, cumin powder, turmeric….etc
- Now add the washed lentils to it and stir well until incorporated.
- Add a cup of water and salt as per taste mix well and turn off the saute mod
- Now close the lid and turn the valve to sealing position.
- Set it on high pressure for 12 minutes. Release pressure naturally upon beep.
- Open the lid and the lentil is ready.
- Give it a dash of cilantro and lime if you like and serve.
Cooking in pressure cooker and tempering
- 1. Wash the lentil well.2. Now in a pressure cooker line the Dal and carrots along with 1 cup of water and add turmeric powder to it.3. Cook the lentils for about 10 min and let it rest closed for 10 min.4 . Release the pressure and open the cooker.
- 1. In a pan take 1 tablespoon ghee or oil.2. Crack some cumin seeds and curry leaves if you like.3. Add Ginger garlic paste, onions and chilies and mix the moong Dal to it. (we already have cooked carrots in it)4. Add 1 cup of water and salt as per taste.5. Serve the soup with a few drops of lemon juice to it.
- You can blend the lentils after they are cooked before tempering.
- Curry leaves are optional. They are a must in Indian staple though.
- You can add any onions or tomatoes in saute if you like.
These beans are very low in fat and is a rich source of dietary fibre. It is very high in protein too. The perfect vegan meal.
Also check my other healthy soup recipes
- Corn and broccoli chowder
- Mix vegetable soup
- Black eyed beans with broccoli soup
- Tomato beetroot spinach soup
We would like to hear from you. If you try this recipe please let us know in the comments below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org