A hearty and a delicious soup prepared from broccoli stem and corn kernels. This soup is an ultimate healthy , super rich, creamy and perfect for a supper night. Its vegetarian and is a perfect family dinner.
This soup is particularly a no waste soup and the chowder is made from broccoli stem and corn kernels. The broccoli florets have been cut short and the stem is crushed and used for the chowder. Its super healthy and the stem gave a buttery and cheesy texture adding up volume. Along with it I also added crushed corn kernels which gave a nice thick creamy paste with some sweet flavour.
So because of the stem part being used I completely skipped the potato unless required in the recipe. This made it more healthy and I also did not use cheese as I used heavy whipping cream and the broccoli stem took care of most of it. This soup was a treat for us and we even ate the left over the other day. My kids helped me make it the other day again and we ate it until our taste buds were quiet. It was soul food.
Vegans can make it with soy milk and olive oil or just coconut milk. To thicken the soup you need to add coconut cream or a mashed potato then. It tastes great!!
Also check my other healthy soup recipes
- Split Moong dal soup
- Mix vegetable soup
- Black eyed beans with broccoli soup
- Tomato beetroot spinach soup
Let’s check the recipe for the corn and broccoli chowder/Soup.
Corn and broccoli chowder
- 1 .5 cup Corn kernels
- 1 cup Broccoli florets
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream or Half and Half
- For vegan use soy milk or coconut milk and coconut cream or 1 boiled and mashed potato for thickness.
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tsp Ginger extract (Grate ginger and extract the juice)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Green Chilli/Paste (Optional)
- Take one cup of corn kernels and blend them in a mixer grinder. Safe the rest half cup whole.
- Take broccoli florets and cut the extra stem part to blend in the mixer jar. Make a paste of both corn and broccoli stem.
- In a pot add the corn and broccoli stem and add water to it. 1 cup of paste to 3 cups of water.
- Boil the stew. Keep stirring to avoid curdle. Bring it to a boil.
- Then add 1 cup of heavy cream to it. keep stirring and again bring to to a boil.
- Vegans can use soy milk or coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream. Add 1/2 cup or coconut cream or 1 boiled and mashed potato for thickness then.
- Now add the remaining whole corn kernels and broccoli florets to it.
- Add onion powder, ginger extract, salt and squeeze 1/2 lemon juice to it. We like a little spice so I added a piece of green chilli to it while boiling and removed it while serving.
- Boil the chowder until nice thick and creamy. You may add 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese to it if you like.
- The chowder is ready after boiling it for at least 10 minutes and stirring it frequently.
- Season it with pepper and serve.
- Corn can be fresh or frozen.
- Broccoli stem gives the richness and creamy texture of cheese and hence I didn’t use any. But you may add cheese if you like.
- Heavy whipping cream works best. You can also use Half and half.
- You may add some diced carrots if you want.
- Vegans can replace heavy whipping cream with soy milk or coconut milk. Skip cheese then. But to thicken the soup add 1/2 cup of coconut cream or add a mashed potato.
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
For latest updates on veggie.bites follow veggie.bites on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest
1 thought on “Corn and Broccoli Chowder”