This popular soul food in most parts of the world has a super nutrient value. Also known as Lobia in India or cowpeas, grown everywhere and cooked in most of the houses it’s one of the popular legumes. It is the best vegan and vegetarian food one can have. Broccoli apart from the corn broccoli soup, Broccoli soup and asparagus broccoli curry is well fitted here too.
It is popularly cooked with onions and tomatoes with or without meat. In some parts of the world the curry comprises coconut cream and seasonings.These beans are used as a lentil, curry, paste or even used as fritters and in dumplings. Also check our split moong dal curry/soup recipe.
It’s combined with rice, paratha, roti or any other bread, dips and much more. Wikipiedia also mentions it as a lucky new year meal! Due to its versatile use they are a staple in the world diet.
Most importantly the nutrients it has, they are rich in protein and fiber. They act as an antioxidant and a great source of other vitamins. They thus help in digestive problems, boost weight loss and enhance one’s heart health. Another such protein rich legume is Chole/ chana masala.
How to cook Black eyed beans
Usually we need to soak the dry beans for about 5-6 hours before cooking them. However the cooking time is pretty low and your dish can be served in less time.Soaking these beans can definitely help in absorbing its nutrients.
If you plan to cook this in an instant pot it’s the super easy and one pot meal. You need not soak any beans. Just saute , pop in ingredients and go. Its ready in no time.
Cooking time varies with the dish you make. Salads may require less cooking time while soups and curries may require more cooking time.
What goes in lobia curry
In this recipe I have cooked these beans along with broccoli and it tastes so good.
Usually with a sharp and not friendly broccoli it’s challenging to make a great dish with a superb taste.
Onions and tamatoes give it a nice gravy texture and spices can be any of your choice and prefrence.
This one is definitely a great one to try.
Let’s check out the recipe.
Black eyed peas/ Cow peas/ Lobia curry or soup with broccoli
- Instant Pot
- Pressure cooker
- 1 cup Dried black eyed beans/lobia
- 1 Medium sized diced tomato
- 1 Medium sized diced onion.
- 1.5 Cup Cleaned broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup water
- Salt as per taste
Instant pot instructions (Need not pre soak your beans)
- Turn the pressure cooker on to the Sauté mode. When it's hot add oil.
- Saute ginger garlic paste, onions until transparent.
- Add tomatoes and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add all the spices, broccoli, salt and add about 1 cup of black eyed beans and 1.5 cup of water.
- Lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Manually cook for about 17 minutes on high pressure.
- Broccoli might get a bit over cooked when cooked in instant pot. You can add it later after the beans are cooked and just give it a gentle boil.
- Your curry is ready to serve.
For soaked beans and cooking without instant pot
- Presoak 1 cup of black eyed peas for atleast 6 hours.
- In a pressure cooker cook the peas with 1 cup water and a pinch of salt and turmeric. Cook upto 3 whistles and 5 minutes on simmer. Cool down naturally.
- Now in a separate wok or a pan heat 2 tablespoon oil. Crack some cumin seeds and saute ginger garlic paste. Now add chopped onions and saute until transparent. Now add the tomatoes and cook until soft. Add the broccoli florets and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt as per taste. (You can add pepper, thyme etc as per taste) Now add the cooked beans in it and add about 1 cup of water and give it a stir.
- Cook with a lid on for about a minute.Black eyed peas are ready to go. Serve it with your choice of bread, roti, paratha or rice.
- You need not soak the cow peas if you are cooking in instant pot.
- However if cooking other than Instant pot you need to soak the peas.
- You can skip broccoli.
- Spices can be any of your choice.
This curry is super easy and quick to make. Vegans and vegetarians will love it. It’s a great source of nutrients and protein.
This curry/soup is rich in carbohydrates and Protein content is even higher because of additional broccoli. It contains a good amount of sodium, potassium and dietary fiber.
Along with vitamins and magnesium it is a complete meal!!
Enjoy and Happy Cooking!!
Also check my other healthy soup recipes
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org