Holidays aren’t just about the plum cakes and the gingerbread cookies. It’s the time for the warm holiday dinner and this super cozy vegetarian and vegan casserole is a must try. It is vegan and vegetarian only! I promise this lentil and vegetables are one of the yummy kind.
Some other popular vegan and vegetarian recipes to try on the blog are.
This vegetarian shepherd’s pie is a total comfort food this winter. Cozy winters require warm meals and this fits perfectly in that category. I loved it with a candle lit on my dinner side and my comfy warm sweater making it more fostering and warm, friendly and informal atmosphere.
Winter calls for a big appetite. This pie is loaded with lentils and vegetables and when it is out of the oven it is simply irresistible. In fact it smelled opulent even before the bake and my home felt in the woods already.
Let us check the recipe for the vegetarian casserole below.
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 Sweet potatoes (peeled and thin round slices)
- 5 Medium sized boiled and mashed potatoes
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium sized diced onion
- 1 cup diced colourful bell peppers
- 1 cup Carrots and Peas (Together)
- 1.5 cup Soaked and cooked lentils (Green gram, lentil, Chickpeas and black chickpeas) ( I used Moong, masoor, chole, kala chana)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- Chilli powder, turmeric (if you like spicy and desi style)
- 1 cup fresh chopped Parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Grated cheese / Vegans can use vegan cheese (optional)
For the bottom layer
- Peel the sweet potato and slice them round and thin.
- Saute them golden and crispy on a pan and set aside
For the mashed potatoes
- Boil and peel 4-5 medium sized potatoes.
- Mash them with a masher.
- Add salt, Thyme and a tablespoon vegan cream or plant based milk to it and blend or mash again in a food processor.
- Fill a piping bag with a thick nozzle with the mash potato in it and set aside.
For the main casserole
- Heat olive oil in a pan
- Saute onions and garlic until aroma.
- Now saute the bell peppers, carrots and peas.
- Now add the cooked lentils, chickpeas and green gram to it.
- Now add the spices like the chilli powder, turmeric(optional) and the thyme, parsley and rosemary(optional) (I used dried)
- Add tomato puree and vegetable stock and allow it to cook.
- Add salt and pepper as per taste and cover it to cook for 5 minutes.
Assembling the casserole
- Take any baking dish.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes and try a dense arrangement.
- Now add the cooked mix of lentils and vegetables over it and using a spatula dab it evenly.
- Now with the mashed potato piping bag make swirls on it or just spread it evenly to make a thick layer.
- Optional: Grate some cheese over it.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350*F for 20 minutes.
- Cut and serve from top to end to get layered servings and enjoy the flavours in every bite.
- You can use potato slices instead of sweet potato in layer one.
- The filling lentils can be any. You can even use mushrooms if you like.
- Make a good even and thick layer of mashed potatoes. Vegans use plant based milk and otherwise can be any as per preferences.
- You can skip cheese and bake the dish until the mashed potato turn golden and crispy.
Also check my other eggless desserts and cakes on the blog links
- Eggless red velvet brownies
- Pumpkin brownies
- Chocolate vanilla swiss rolls
- Vegan, Gluten free raspberry muffins
- Eggless Banana bread
- Avocado Oatmeal Cookies
- Eggless Chocolate chip cookies
- Eggless mini pineapple cherry cheesecake
- Egg free Ladyfingers
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org