Sago or Sabudana khichadi is an Indian dish made from soaked sabudana (tapioca pearls). It is a fasting recipe just like the caramelized sweet potatoes and the sweet potato khichadi. It is typically prepared in Western India such as Maharashtra, Karnataka ,Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat. (check gujarati recipes on the blog). In major towns like Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur it is available as street food and is widely eaten throughout the year. It is one dish among the popular when an individual observes a “fast” during Shivratri, Navratri, or a similar Hindu festival.
Check our other Maharashtrian delicacies here
Pearl tapioca (Sabudana) is soaked for about 8-10 hours, and is then sauteed to make a pilaf/khichdi. (check quinoa pilaf) It is made using cumin seeds, salt, roasted peanut powder,green chili ,diced potatoes and other optional ingredients such as fried peanuts, sweet potatoes, coriander etc.
It is pure carbohydrate and has very little protein, vitamins, or minerals. The addition of peanuts to sabudana khichadi adds to the protein making it a more balanced meal. It has a high calorie content, due to the quantity of starch and fat present.
This being the only reason to consume it during fast as carbohydrates and peanuts can help you starve for long.
Sago /sabudana Soak it right!
Did you know, soaking your sago pearls rightly is the first step of a great sabudana khichadi/sago pilaf? Most of them get it wrong and sticky or soggy. I had the worst times too when I soaked it wrongly. But if you soak your pearls right , you get your khichdi right!! So the crucial step of soaking your sabudana is soak it for at least 8-10 hours.
*My grandmother always made and taught me too to cook sabudana in desi ghee(clarified butter). Ghee keeps the khichdi soft for a longer time. It induces a great flavor and is healthy too.
Check this detailed video of how to soak your sabudana right and also check the tips and tricks here.
Let us check the recipe for sabudana Khichadi in detail
- 2 cups Sago soaked overnight
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Medium sized diced potato
- 2-3 Green chilli paste
- 1/2 cup roasted peanut powder/crush
- 2 tbsp whole peanuts with skin(optional)
- 3 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter) Or 2 tablespoon Oil(less oil can make your khichdi sticky)(excess oil can make it soggy)
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Loosen all the soaked sago pearls and marinate it with salt and sugar.
- Saute cumin seeds and green chilli paste in the hot ghee.
- Add the diced potatoes and roast them until golden .
- Roast the whole peanuts until golden and crispy. Add the peanut powder too and roast.
- Now add the marinated sago in the pan.
- Give it a toss to mix all the ingredients well.
- Close the lid of the pan and cook it for just about 2-4 minutes to give it a gentle steam.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with a dash of lemon juice with it!
- I can have this khichdi almost any meal, and not wait for fasting. It's so comforting and tasty.
- Check how to soak your sabudana/sago here.
- You can use sweet potato instead of potatoes.
- If your fasting rules permit you can even use red chilli powder instead of green chillies.
Also check our other 30 minute dinner recipes
- Burnt garlic Quinoa Pilaf
- Mango curd rice
- Creamy parsley pesto pasta
- Mint rice
- Sriracha paneer fried rice
- Lemon Alfredo pasta
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org