Khichadi is my most favourite and comforting meal. This is most easiest and the best dish in no time. This is one of the heartthrob of most Indian homes.
With just 3 ingredients you can enjoy the most simple yet delicious meal. Served with Kadhi , pickles and papadums this makes the best One pot meal.
Earlier we checked the dal khichadi which was a little spicy version of split yellow dal and rice. This khichadi is a little variation in the dal/lentil I used.
Here I used the green split moong dal and rice and kept it mild in flavours. It turned out to be a very tasty, and a healthy meal. Split moong dal is power packed with protein and fibres. So this khichadi is healthy and nourishing.
Moong is one of the easiest to digest and is recommended largely in ayurveda. You can have this meal when you prefer a lighter or a semi liquid meal. This khichadi is also fed to babies as its cooked well to mash and incorporate fine and its easy to digest plus its not spicy.
So lets check this versatile and super easy one pot moong khichadi.
Split Moong Dal Khichadi
- 1 cup short grain rice (Basmati, Ambe Mor, Sona Masoori)
- 1 cup split green moong dal/lentil
- Ghee/ clarified butter
- Curry leaves
- Bay leaf
- cumin seeds
- mustard seeds
- Slit cut green chillies
- Wash the rice and lentil well and soak in water for about half an hour.
- The container you will cook your khichadi should be large. It will double after cooking.
- After half an hour remove the soaked water and add fresh water. For 2 cups of total rice and dal add 4 cups of water.
- Add salt as per taste and a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Now place your container in the pressure cooker or electric rice cooker.
- For pressure cooker close the lid and cook on high pressure for 4 whistles and simmer the flame on low for 5 more minutes.
- For electric rice cooker set your mode on white rice and start.
- The khichadi in the pressure cooker is ready after pressure is released naturally.
- Now remove the khichadi and mash it little to make it soft. Adjust the consistency by adding water if required.
- In a saute pan heat 2 tablespoon ghee/clarified butter.
- Crack some mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
- Now add the bay leaf, curry leaves and chillies.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida if you like.
- Now add this temper to the khichadi you made.
- Incorporate it well and serve.
Instant Pot Way
* Use Soaked dal and rice directly.
- Turn Instant pot on saute mode.
- Crack cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and off the saute mode.
- Now add the soaked dal and rice to it. Add 4 cups of water to compliment the quantity of your uncooked Dal and rice and cook it in one go. More the water more the soft khichadi.
- Add salt, turmeric and stir well.
- Close the lid. Set on white rice
- Turn the Pressure valve on sealing position and cook for 12 minutes release pressure naturally.
- Open the instant pot and serve the Khichadi.
The khichadi is ready to serve with a dollop of ghee/clarified butter.
It can be served with a sides of white buttermilk kadhi, Mango pickle, and some papadums.
This khichadi is loaded with Vitamins, Protein and Minerals from the dals. Rice is a good carbohydrate and keeps you up with energy for long. All the vegetables compliment great for all my dietary fibers and minerals.
It’s a great and healthy baby food too.
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com