One pot , easiest and all time favorite the authentic Vegetarian Dal Khichadi. This is similar to my moong dal khichadi on the blog
Khichadi is one of the most soothing vegetarian meals one can ever have. Not just vegetarian it is one of the easiest vegan and gluten free recipe. I feel content and happy when these colourful veggies are on my menu.
Other popular khicadi /pilaf on the blog are
This is the by far the easiest yet healthy and the best dish I have ever had. It’s my personal favorite as it takes a village to cook it! It’s authentic, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free yet simple and a super blend of nutrition and spices.
Khichadi is one of those meals which we had at least twice in a week as a child. Later when we grew up our preferences changed. I remember once my husband said Dal khichadi were the most popular meals they had during their college hostel days. Staying away from the family for studies, khichadi would bring back the homely feel and the memories with parents.
Even now as a parent I experience my kids love khichdi as we did. I find it very healthy and easy way to feed all vegetables, dals and a proper blend of protein, carbs and vitamins in one for the kids. Mostly whenever we return from a long trip after returning home, Khichdi is our first meal then.
Other popular kid friendly veggie recipes on the blog are
What goes in Dal Khichadi
Khichadi is a soft blend of Rice along with various lentils. Traditionally they are soaked and cooked separately and then sauteed with onions and tomatoes together to make a delicious blend.
But with the changing times people are adopting easier one pot/Instant pot ways to cook it. It’s much easier, simpler and tasty with very little time and effort. Because of its simple blend it is a popular food for patients as well. It is a soft , non-chewy warm and comforting meal for those who prefer a soft vegetarian diet. A lot of variations for this dish are found. It is also made with different lentil combinations, millets like bajra or even Daliya(cracked wheat).
Let’s Check the recipe for authentic Dal Khichadi
- 1 cup rice (Any short grain rice, not sticky)
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup red masoor dal
- Chopped onion
- 1 medium chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup carrots and green peas
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee ( Clarified butter )
- You can use any other vegetables like carrots, beans, cauliflower etc..
Traditional way to cook Dal Khichadi
- Take rice, wash with 2 waters and soak it for at least half hour before prep.Take all the dals/ lentils wash and soak them too for half Hour separately.
- Now in a pressure cooker cook the dals/lentils and rice in separate pots . Add a teaspoon of turmeric, ginger paste and coriander powder to the dal while cooking. Add salt to the rice while cooking.
- For cooking in pressure cooker, cook upto 2 whistles and simmer the flame for about 5 minutes then cool down with lid on.
- Take a wok/kadhai and heat oil or Ghee (clarified butter) in it.Now crack some cumin seeds, onions , curry leaves and saute till transparent. Saute ginger garlic paste.
- Then saute tomatoes and other vegetables and cook for some time.Now add turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt as per taste and saute.
- Add the cooked Rice and lentils to it. Give it a good stir and blend it well to combine together.Add a 1/2 cup of water and stir again.
- Allow it to cook for 5 minutes with the lid on.The khichadi is ready to serve.
Dal Khichadi in Instant Pot
- * Use Soaked dal and rice directly, no need to cook before like the traditional way.
- Turn Instant pot on saute mode.
- Saute all the vegetables and add the spices.
- Now add the soaked dals and rice to it. Add 4-5 cups of water to compliment the quantity of your uncooked Dal and rice and cook it in one go. More the water more the soft khichadi.
- Close the lid. Set on white rice. Turn the Pressure valve on sealing position and cook for 12 minutes release pressure naturally.
- Open the instant pot and serve the Khichadi.
Before serving give an extra tadka(tempering) of ghee , cumin seeds, dry red chilli and garnish it. However it’s totally optional.
Serve Khichadi warm with a dollop of ghee and with your favourite pickle and papadum. I love my Khichadi with the gujarati kadhi or Raita.
This khichadi is loaded with Vitamins, Protein and Minerals from the dals. Rice is a good carbohydrate and keeps you up with energy for long. All the vegetables compliment great for all my dietary fibers and minerals.
Also check our other 30 minute dinner recipes
- Burnt garlic Quinoa Pilaf
- Mango curd rice
- Creamy parsley pesto pasta
- Mint rice
- Sriracha paneer fried rice
- Lemon Alfredo pasta
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org