Papdi Chaat anyone? When you are not at all in a mood to cook and want a quick appetizer/snack papdi Chaat acts as a life saver!! Just like the kutchi dabeli and the chinese bhel, this too is irresistable. Papdi Chaat is one of the popular street foods from northern India like the dahi bhallas and samosas and is super delicious. It’s mainly made up with papdi topped with boiled potatoes, tamarind and coriander chutney, yogurt and sev/Bhujiya.
Check our popular recipes on the blog link below.
Chaat is a popular dish in mostly northern India but is widely popular all over. Papdi chaat is a very easy and yummy snack if you have the papdi/crackers readily available. I always have a store bought Papdi/cracker packet in my pantry as it is a dish which I can serve almost anytime, even my impromptu guests.
It is one of the most popular street foods of India and you will find these vendors in nook and corners of every street in India. Bhel, Panipuri/puchkas , Papdi chaat, ragda puri, samosa chaat etc are the wide and the among the tastiest variety of chaat.
What goes in Papdi Chaat
- Papdi chaat is mainly made of crispy papdis/ crackers made out of flour and salt . I used the market bought (Garvi snacks Papdi). These crackers are layered in potatoes or Ragda(Peas curry) and topped with onions, tomatoes, dips and chutneys like the sweet tamarind chutney and the coriander chutney. They are garnished with a whopping amount of sev(bhujiya) which goes on it and it tastes delicious.
- There are certain variations made as per the choice and taste preferences. Some prefer only potatoes, where as some prefer black chick peas / moong.
- Papdis can be homemade or store bought. Homemade papdis are popular with tea time snack too. They are made with just 3 ingredients and are quick to go snack.
2 minute without papdi /cracker chaat
- In case you dont have the papdis these can be made with the salty crackers/ Ritz crackers/ Monaco biscuits!!
- Yes these crackers are a quick solution when I dont have the papdis. And all I need is the chutneys and sev. My chaat is ready with this 2 minute solution.
- It can be served at hi tea, it’s a perfect party appetizer or you can just grab a plate when you are craving. You don’t really need an occasion to make it.
Lets check out the quick recipe for this ultimate snack.
- Boil 2 potatoes , peel and dice them.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, and cumin powder to it . Mix the potatoes well and keep it aside. (Plain potatoes will taste very blunt in Chaat, so we need some marination)
- Take 1 cup plain unflavoured yogurt. Beat it and add 2 teaspoon sugar(optional), pinch of salt and squeeze 1 tbsp ginger juice in it add about 3-4 tbsp water/milk and beat the curd. Keep aside.
- Now align all the papris in a tray or plate.
- Top it with the marinated potato we made.
- Now add green coriander chutney and tamarind date chutney to it and add onions to it.
- Now drizzle the sweet yogurt over it.
- Sprinkle some Chaat masala over it.
- Layer it with fine sev. It should be generously topped.
- Garnish with coriander and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve it as an appetizer ,snack or a tea time snack anytime.
- Papdi can be homemade or store bought.
- When making with crackers ensure to make it just before eating as the crackers will soak the water in yogurt and become soggy soon.
- You can use any other sprouts along with potatoes or even skip potatoes and use it.
- Both the chutney recipes are on the link. Keep them handy always.
- Chaat masala can be any store bought or homemade.
- You can skip yogurt, but still enjoy the papdi Chaat
Papdi chaat with salty crackers
Prepare the cracker chaat only before consumption. The crackers will soak all the liquid topping and turn soggy. So they need to be consumed immediately.
You can even prepare them one by one and eat immediately.
- Line up the salty crackers. Not more than 5 at a a time.
- Top each cracker with diced marinated potatoes.
- Add the chutneys and the ginger flavored yogurt.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala, red chilli powder, cumin powder.
- Garnish with a generous amount of sev/ bhujiya and coriander.
- Your crackers are ready to serve.
Do check our other snack recipes on the blog links here.
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org