How about this diet chivda/Snack? Extremely light and fluffy this is my favourite pastime. Most important for me this is with very little oil and it’s super delicious.
Do check our other super healthy snack recipes on the blog links here.
I remember my college days a vendor sold this spicy Mumura topped with chopped onions and tomatoes and the best ingredient he added was the pickled raw mango slices just like the chinese bhel I posted on the blog earlier. Yummy! Wow! he made it so tasty, drooling, drooling!
So murmur/ murmura called with different names is a popular snack among all. This is one of the cheapest, lightest and calorie free snacks one can think of. It is either eaten with a little onions and tomatoes or it is even mixed with Bhel, a popular street style mix of murmur and some bhujiya or papdi. Check papdi chaat recipe here.
So friends ditch your fried snack packets and pick up some healthy choices.
We even make murmura poha and it’s healthy and delicious. My kids love the sweet ladoos/ Bars I make with murmur and jaggery. The different ways of styling this is just amazing. Murmur is that snack which is always on my pantry list.
How to ensure all the spice mix is on the murmur and not your plate?
Normally when you make these snacks and add all the masalas and spices to it only a few gather well and stick on the surface of the murmur. So people tend to use a lot of salt and spice so that some sticks to the puff and some is found later at the bottom of your pan.
But with this trick you can ensure most of your spice on the murmur and your mix is ready in very little resources. Adding besan/ Chickpea (Gram Flour) flour to oil can help the spice mix become a little thick and sticky consistency. This helps the murmur hold the spices.
- 250 gms murmur/ Puffed rice
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Peanuts (skinned)
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- 2 tbsp Phutana dhal (Roasted chana dhal)
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp dry coconut slices
- 2 tbsp besan flour(chickpea flour)(Gram flour)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Citric acid crystals
- Salt as per taste
- sugar as per taste
- Check if the murmur or puffed rice is crispy enough to further process. If not just heat the plain murmur in a hot pan with a pinch of salt.
- Heat oil in a big wok/kadhai
- Now roast the ingredients in the oil one by one. First fry the coconut flakes, then the peanuts, cashews until golden brown. Then the phutana dal till golden and crisp. Remove and keep them aside.
- Now crisp the curry leaves and add the spices in the oil. The turmeric, chilli powder, citric acid crystals and switch off the flame quickly. Now add the besan flour to it and stir it continuously for 1 minute.
- Immediately Pour this mix in the murmur and give it a through stir. Add salt and Stir it well so that the masala sticks well on each murmura.
- Upon cooling for about couple of minutes apply powdered sugar all over on the murmura.
- The spicy and tangy murmur is ready to munch on.
- Serve it with some finely chopped tomatoes and onions. If you have the raw mangoes pop some in and you will simply drool over it!
- You can use any Murmur. Ensure they are fresh and crispy. I used the Kolhapuri Murmur bought from the Indian store.
- The flame for cooking should be low medium or it will burn the spices.
- Adding citric acid is optional but it gives a nice punch to the chivdo. Always add it in the oil so that they melt and dont crystallize.
- Besan / chick pea flour gives a nice binding to the spice mix and helps it stick on the murmur. if you want to skip is optional but then usually all the masala stays at the bottom while you end up eating the murmur.
- I did not add coconut flakes as I did not have them.
High in carbs Murmur is one of the lowest in fat snack. With the addition of these things to it it will hardly change value but add a little protein and potassium with coconut and peanuts.
This is absolutely vegan and Gluten free.
Do check the other popular recipes on the blog
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com
For latest updates on veggie.bites follow veggie.bites on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest