Kheer is one of the simplest and the most royal desserts of India. It’s made with just 3 basic ingredients easily found in your kitchen. On the occasion of Akshay Tritiya I made this Delicious dessert Chawal Ki Kheer!!Its also known as Chawal Phirni.
Indians cook a large variety of kheers/puddings. They have the Semiya/Vermicelli Kheer, Daliya kheer, Sago/Sabudana kheer, Carrot pudding, Dudhi/Bottle Gourd Kheer etc. on various occasions. Basically it’s nothing but cooking a particular grain or vegetable along with milk and infuse it with sweet and nuts.
Traditionally made by boiling milk in a deep pan it takes long to reduce and thicken it. But I always prefer the traditional way. Also I loved the way Instant Pot can cook this kheer in less time and unattended.
Indian Sweets are popularly made by boiling milk and solidifying. This process also results in koya (Milk solid) Some other delicacies made by solidifying milk are Kalakand, Pedha etc.
What can go wrong
Always use whole milk. If cooking in a pan keep stirring to avoid the burning of the kheer. Adding jaggery at wrong time can curdle your kheer. So in the recipe details below I have mentioned the do’s and don’ts to follow. Also check the super simple Instant Pot recipe.
So friends, try this payasam / Kheer/ Porridge and make your next festival or party a royal treat. This is the basic and super simple kheer to try. Aslo check my other recipes like the carrot halwa/pudding.
Lets check the recipe
Kheer / Rice Pudding
- 500 ml / Half litre whole milk
- 7-8 tablespoon sugar
- OR 1/2 cup powdered jaggery (Refer Notes)
- 1/4 cup/ 2 tablespoon rice
- Saffron strands
- Cardamom powder
- Rose / Kewra essence
- Dry Fruits to garnish
- Soak the rice in water at least 20-25 min. Soak saffron strands in in 1 teaspoon warm milk or water.
- In a deep kadhai/ Pan add a teaspoon of ghee/clarified butter. (Ghee will help the milk from burning)
- Add the whole milk to it and start boiling.
- Keep stirring to avoid sticking to the pot.
- After milk starts boiling, remove the rice from water and coarse grind it in a mortar and a pastel.
- Now add this rice to the milk and allow it to cook with the milk. Keep stirring.
- Reduce the milk to half.
- Add about 7-8 tablespoons of sugar to the milk. (or as per taste)
- Allow it to boil again. Sugar makes it thin again.
- Upon boiling it for more 10 minutes you will see that the rice is completely cooked and the milk is nice thick and creamy.
- Now add cardamom powder and the soaked saffron, and 2-3 drops of your favourite essence. I used rose essence and stir well.
- The kheer is now ready to serve.
- Garnish it with dry fruits like chopped almonds and pistachios.
Instant Pot Kheer/Rice Pudding
- Use a clean sealing ring for your dessert in instant pot. Also preferably use a fresh or a dessert pot.
- Add the milk, sugar, coarsely ground rice, saffron and cardamom in the pot.
- Close the lid and vent in sealing position.
- Set the instant pot on porridge mode for 20 minutes.
- After which open the lid and check the consistency. If its too thick add some milk and allow it to cook on saute mode. Also add essence at this point.
- If the kheer is too thin still cook it more on saute mode until the desired texture.
- Check the sugar and adjust as per taste.
- Serve it and garnish with the chopped nuts.
- Sugar can be adjusted as per taste preferences.
- Jaggery when cooking out should be melted separately first and then added after all the kheer is ready. If you add raw jaggery to the milk the milk will curdle. Cook the kheer more about 5 minutes and keep stirring after adding melted jaggery.
- Instant Pot Jaggery Jaggery can be used in place of sugar but not while cooking. It will curdle milk. After cooking completely in instant pot add melted jaggery and cook on saute mode stir continuously.
- Nuts can be any as per choice.
- You can add vanilla essence , rose or kewra essence or totally skip if you only want the natural flavours.
- Whole milk works best, but if you are using reduced milk add 1/2 cup of full cream after the milk boils first and keep stirring. However if you like it without cream its ok, the Low fat milk kheer won’t be as thick as he whole milk one.
Rice kheer is high in calorie and comprises of more than 120 calories per serving. These calories are both protein and fat. Protein being 20-25 gms and rest comprises of fat.
Also check our other desserts on the links
We would like to hear from you. If you try this recipe please let us know in the comments below.
You can also email me at email@example.com
For latest updates on veggie.bites follow veggie.bites on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter