Well its dessert season and eggless baking is my favourite part. Baking helps me keep calm and soothe me. It helps me refresh. This creation is yet another refreshing early morning bliss. Just like my power packed breakfast ideas I like to cook or bake early morning when the house is calm and quiet!
Today morning my home smells bliss! This beautiful chocolate cake sheet filled me with joy and my house smells the fantastic chocolate. Kids woke up to a pleasant surprise and were super happy to try these out in their breakfast. I must say cheat breakfast and not the power packed!
These beauties were my first try and they came out to be so delicious. These pinwheels were super attractive and perfect chocolaty. I was always fascinated with these wheels and wanted to try them. The outcome was super cool and perfect no fuss recipe.
I used my recipe of eggless chocolate cake with yogurt and baked it in a sheet. Then used a moist damp towel to roll the sheet. The damp towel helped me keep the cake moist and didn’t dry up. You can make a similar plain vanilla sponge or a fruit flavoured sponge and it works well.
Things to remember
- Make sure to keep the batter flowy and not too dense. The cake will be a great sponge then.
- Do not over bake as it may harden the sponge.
- Remember to cut the edges of the sheet sponge as they will be hard to roll.
- Always roll the sheet once when its warm, not hot, as it will take a good shape when warm. It won’t roll when completely cool. And it will crack when too hot.
- A moist damp cloth prevents the cake from drying up. Do not use a wet cloth just a damp is perfect.
- If you do not want to use a cloth then use a parchment sheet to roll.
- Allow the roll to cool down in a refrigerator before you spread the frosting. If you apply it on a warm sponge the whipped cream might melt.
- You can refrigerate the rolls for at least upto a week or freeze them upto a month and thaw them well in refrigerator before use.
So lets check the recipe in detail.
Chocolate vanilla Swiss Rolls (Eggless) (vegan)
- 1.5 Cup All purpose flour (Minus 2 tablespoon)
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (Can use powdered for sprinkling later)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk / Vegans use non dairy milk (Check Notes)
- 1 tsp vinegar/Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter or oil (Vegan butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven at 350*
- Sieve all the dry ingredients in a bowl.All purpose flour, Cornflour, Cocoa, baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix them well and set aside.
- Now in a separate bowl mix Milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and baking soda. Whisk everything well.
- Now pour the wet ingredients in the dry and fold the batter until lumps are broken down. Make a smooth batter.
- Line up a baking tray with parchment sheet and spray some baking spray over it. My tray size was 14 inch *11 inch approx.
- Pour the batter in the tray and flatten it with a spatula. Tap the tray once to remove the air.
- Pop the tray in the oven for about 18-20 minutes and bake until a toothpick or a knife turns out clean.
- Now pull the parchment sheet along with the cake from the tray gently and place it on the cooling rack. Allow it to cool for 3-4 minutes. (Over cooling can crack the cake when rolling.The cake should be lukewarm.
- Now cut a thin strip of hard edges all around the cake sheet.
- Now take any clean kitchen towel and dampen it a little. Dam towel can keep the cake moisturized and prevent from sticking.
- Lay the towel on the work surface and turn the cake upside down on the towel.Gently peel off the parchment sheet.
- Now while the cake is warm, with the help of the towel start rolling the sheet. Make a small roll first to end up with multiple beautiful folds. (Rolls)
- Keep the towel wrapped cake in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Now remove this roll and gently unfold the towel and the cake roll. Make sure not to break the cake sheet and lay it again the same way on the towel. Rolling when warm gives a good shape to it.
- Now spread some vanilla flavoured whipped cream over it with a knife or a spatula.Vegans can use a cherry pie filling or a jam or any other favourite spread in it.
- Now again roll the same cake gently on the same marks as before with the help of a towel.Remove the towel when done rolling.
- You can immediately Cut them in slices 1/2 inch or less and serve. Or you can wrap them in a parchment paper and refrigerate. Slice when serving.
- I used a few sprinklers over it and enjoyed the delicacy.
- Vegans can use non dairy milk OR 3/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup Chickpea aquafaba.
- You can Replace 1/4 cup aquafaba with 1/4 cup soaked flax seed gel.
- Vegan fillings can be made with a non dairy cream.
- Fillings can be store bought or homemade.
- You can even use fruit fillings like the cherry pie filling, any jams , Cream cheese etc.
- If making chocolate cake remember to take out 2 tablespoon flour and replace with cocoa powder. If not done then the batter becomes thick and the cake is too dense.
- You can make any flavour of cake sheet like the vanilla , lemon, strawberry etc. just skip cocoa and 2 tbsp more flour or 2 tbsp puree of the flavour desired.
- The roll can get cracked as you can see in my frame. No worries. Just cover it with some dusted sugar or pour in some ganache and it won’t be seen.
Also check our other popular eggless recipes here
- Eggless red velvet brownies
- Vegan, Gluten free raspberry muffins
- Eggless Banana bread
- Avocado Oatmeal Cookies
- Eggless Chocolate chip cookies
- Eggless mini pineapple cherry cheesecake
- Egg free Ladyfingers
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com