Cashew bites/Kaju barfi or fudge is a super quick simple mithai/dessert each of us must try just like my coconut fudge/ladoo recipe. This recipe is an instant solution to Indian flavoured rich desserts like kalakand (Indian cheesecake) and Rasgulla. Its Indian yet western with the fudgy texture. Its a 3 ingredient no cook recipe and involves no fuss about syrup or stirring. You cannot go wrong with it and it’s so presentable. Make any shapes out of the dough and its ready to serve on any occasion.
I tried these this Raksha Bandhan. Indian festivals call for intense cooking and cooking delicious desserts like gajar ka halwa, kheer, puran poli and so on. Due to covid this year we couldn’t get our favourite kaju katli, my kids love it and craved for it badly. I had no time to cook kaju katli since it involves a lot of time to cook the cashews and make a perfect syrup at home but luckily I had these ingredients and decided to try this twist with some great flavours. And guess what? Kids loved it!! It was a successful attempt and we all loved it.
So friends why wait, just pop in the ingredients , microwave it 2 minutes and these beauties are ready to go. Mold them in any shape or make bappas favourite modak shape and these modaks will be your next favourite to try always.
So lets get started with the recipe already.
Cashew Bites/Kaju fudge
- 1 cup Roasted Cashews/Fresh crunchy cashews
- 1/2 cup Milk Powder
- 1/2 cup Condensed milk
- 1 teasp Saffron strands/Kesar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 teasp rose essence/ kewra essence
- 1 teasp cardamom powder (Optional)
- Take 1 cup cashews in a pan. Roast them on low flame for about 5-7 minutes. Do not roast until colour changes. Just make them crispy and keep stirring when roasting. (Check Notes)
- Now allow them to cool and grind them in a mixer grinder to get a fine powder. Sieve the cashew powder with a fine sieve.
- Transfer this cashew powder to a bowl and add half cup of milk powder to it.
- Now add the saffron strands and mix the dry ingredients. You may or may not add cardamom powder.
- Now add 1/2 cup of condensed milk and mix the mixture.
- Gradually add 2/3 tablespoons of milk to make a thick paste. The paste should not fall easily from the spoon.
- The semi thick paste. You may add rose essence or kewra essence or can even skip it.
- Now microwave the mixture for 2 minutes and give it a stir.
- The mixture thickens and is ready to set. Now fold the batter a few times with a spatula. This process brings out the fat in cashews.
- Now grease any mold with a bit of ghee/Clarified butter. You can take a plain tray, any design mould or any other of your choice. I used a rose shaped mould.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of each in the mould and press it. You can pour the mixture in a tray and flatten it with a spatula. Keeping it just about half a cm in height.
- Now remove the shapes from the mold gently. You can mark diamond or square shaped cuts on the flat tray.
- The rose shaped cashew barfi is ready.
- You may add silver leaf/ vark or barak on these or just leave them as it is.
- If the cashews are fresh and crunchy you can skip roasting it.
- Do not over roast we just have to make it crunchy without changing the colour.
- Sieve the powder before using.
- Milk required is 2 tablespoons. Do not overdo it as the mixture may become flowy and difficult to set.
- You can skip the essence flavours if you do not like it.
- Molds can be any. You can even make modak shapes of it.
- Adding a silver leaf/barak/vark can give an excellent look and presentation. However you can skip it too.
- If the mixture is too dry and thick after microwave just mix 1 tablespoon milk or hot water and fold the batter to bring out the cashew fat.
Do stop by and check our other Indian dessert recipes with or without using Instant Pot. Links below.
We would like to hear from you. If you try this recipe please let us know in the comments below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
For latest updates on veggie.bites follow veggie.bites on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest
3 thoughts on “Cashew bites/Kaju fudge”
Thank you for having a recipe with all the ingredients I had at home…
Will definitely try this for divali
Sure, let us know how you like it!!