Healthy cookies? Yes these butter less cookies are extremely healthy and contains very few carbs and are gluten free. With snack time a great challenge indulging on sugar and regular bakery products is quite challenging without allowing your body some extra pounds. These cookies are a wholesome solution.
With super simple steps and easy 6 ingredients these cookies are a must try. We do a lot of baking and we also checked the regular chocolate chip cookies earlier.
But these are a healthy solution to those unwanted carbs and allergies from gluten!!
With the creamy and soft avocado texture my cookies didn’t miss the butter. Avocado gave it a perfect blend. Coconut sugar or jaggery can help you control your carbs. And oatmeal will definately rescue from that gluten.
How does the cookies taste?
The cookies don’t taste bad at all. But for a beginner Vegan this might take time to develop taste for it! So though these are cookies, they are oatmeal cookies , so we cannot expect the perfect smooth and cookie texture. But these are slightly coarse and still chewy. The taste inclined more towards some kind of healthy bars shaped and baked in the form of cookies. This is my honest review. The cookies taste great but cannot be compared to the original chocolate chip cookies!!
Extremely soft, chewy it was hard to find the avocado in them. They were so good. Almond Meal and avocado completed my Protein requirements and chocolate chips balance all the sweet and chocolate cravings.
Weight Watchers, health lovers and my vegan friends will definately love this!!
My kids wouldn’t recognize the avocado and ate them happily!! So friends why wait??
A quick Oats Flour
You can either buy a gluten free flour or an oats flour from stores but in case you need a quick solution, You can easily grind your oats (any) in a high speed grinder and use that flour. The more fine you grind, the flour will be finer. You can adjust it from grinding it coarse to fine as per your choice.
Let’s check the recipe in detail
Avocado Oatmeal Cookies
- Baking Oven
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Oatmeal/Powdered oats I used Old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup Almond meal or Powdered almonds
- 1 teasp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup Chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Take a ripe Avocado cut it and remove the seed.
- Now smash it in a mixing bowl with a fork or a smasher.
- Add sugar to it and blend it with a hand blender or whisk until fluffy.
- Now add the vanilla essence and baking powder and blend it on low speed and until well incorporated.
- Now add the oatmeal and almond meal to it and using your hands make a dough. It will be sticky dont worry.
- Now add the chocolate chips and make a dough to incorporate them well.
- Preheat the oven at 350* F.
- Line up a baking tray with a parchment paper or a baking sheet.
- Make lemon sized balls from the dough and place them on the sheet at a distance of 2-3 inches apart.
- Now add some more chocolate chips on each ball and flatten them lightly. They won't flatten later as there is no butter. keep them 1/2 cm thick.
- Now bake the dough at 350*F for at least 17-19 minutes or until the top turns dry and light golden brown.
- Now remove them from the oven and lay them on the cooling rack.
- Upon cooling they are ready to munch upon.You can store them in an airtight container for upto 3-4 days at room temperature.
- You can even make them with any vegan butter instead of Avocado. do not press the dough balls in that case.
- Sugar can be any coconut sugar, brown sugar, jaggery powder or castor sugar. Taste will differ for all. They might taste sandy with jaggery and coconut sugar.
- Oatmeal can be replaced with almond flour. If Non gluten free then wheat flour. (Texture will change)
- You can also use raisins, almonds, walnuts or chopped dates instead of chocolate chips.
- If you want more chewy cookies reduce the baking time to 15-17 minutes. Monitor after 12-13 minutes.
Indulge these soft and chewy cookies in your next breakfast or even your snacktime!! These cookies per serving are roughly around 150-160 calories. Around 2 grams of cholesterol which is very less compared to the normal and carbs around 10-12 gms. High and very rich in Protein around 6-8 gms, they are also rich in fibre and most importantly vegan!!
We would like to hear from you. If you try this recipe please let us know in the comments below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org