This vegan stuffed capsicum curry is worth trying for. Its made up using the bhakarwadi style and flavours from gujarat, Maharashtra. Its rich, spicy and even has the gujarati flavours of light sweetness. It’s a new style and blend than the usual stuffed capsicum which is made up with stuffed potato or stuffed gram flour.
This curry is a blend of various veggies like the carrots, peas and corn and coconut and peanuts. Check my bharwan baingan (Stuffed brinjal) curry and amti which is also a blend of coconut and peanuts. This curry has strong flavours like the bhakarwadi and bhujiya which makes it super rich and intense. Its spicy, sweet and a great curry to enjoy with rotis, parathas or naans.
If you are a fan of gujarati style food or maharashtrian flavours this curry is for you. It’s a different blend and a flavourful combination of veggies and spices. I have use a little of my tamarind date chutney which gives it sweet and sour flavour. You can add any pulp and skip sugar if you dont like it.
Lets get through the recipe. Remember to be delicate with stirring the curry , we do not want the stuffing to pop out but want it to cook well.
Stuffed capsicum (Gujarati style)
- 4 Small/ baby capsicums Tiny ones are easy for stuffing and cooking
- 1 cup peas, carrots, beans, corn (mix veggies)
- For the stuffing
- 3 tbsp grated dry coconut/desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp roasted/peanuts
- 2 tbsp bhujiya or papdi or besan(gram flour) Any one
- 1 tsp amchur powder/lemon juice
- 1 teasp white sesame
- 1 tesp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp cashews, raisins
- 1/3 cup tamarind and date chutney/dip
- 1 tesp red chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder
- 1 teasp garam masala
- 1 small onion diced/chopped
For the stuffing
- Roast coconut and peanuts until dark brown.
- Now take a mixer grinder add the browned coconut and peanuts, bhujiya, amchur,sesame,fennel, poppy seeds, cashews, raisins and grind the mix.
- Now carve the centre of the capsicum creating a hollow to be filled.
- In a pan saute 1 cup mixed veggies in 1 teaspoon oil.
- Add the grounded stuffing dry mixture to the veggies and cook for a minute with a pinch of salt. Add a teaspoon of chilli powder and garam masala.
- Now add a1/3 cup of tamarind date chutney and stir the mix and allow it to cook covered.
- When cooked and cooled stuff this mix in the carved capsicums. Press the mixture with a spoon and stuff it until the edges nicely.
- Now heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. crack cumin, mustard and add asafoetida. Saute diced onion well.
- Now add the remaining stuffing mixture left after stuffing the capsicums. Add the spices, garam masala , red chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder. Saute well.
- Now add the stuffed capsicums gently. Stir and add 1/2 cup water and salt as per taste. Cover and allow it to cook.
- Open and stir the mixture a couple of times for even cooking of the capsicum. Add 2 tbsp water every time you open. Don't let the mixture dry up.
- Keep checking the consistency. It should not dry up. keep a little gravy until capsicum gets all cooked well.
- After 15-20 minutes the curry gets cooked if the capsicums are thin and small. Turn the heat off.
- Serve the curry and garnish with bhujiya!
- This curry dosent call for potato , but if you want you can add either diced or boiled potatoes.
- This curry tastes spicy and a little sweet but like a spicy kachori.
- Sugar can be skipped or adjusted as per taste level. You can even replace it with jaggery.
Do check our other snack recipes on the blog links here.
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com