Shahi Paneer is an Indian household curry, which is made with thick gravy of tomatoes, cream and exotic Indian spices. Its vegetarian and very rich. Just as Saag Paneer/Palak Paneer, Dahi wale aloo, Methi matar malai, this is also one of the popular curries from the Indian kitchen.
As the name Shahi suggests the Mughlai origin, the dish is a delicacy from the mughali cuisine in India. The dish is rich and creamy and is a preparation with the blend of cashews, cream and saffron. Looks royal, and tastes even royal, just as the name suggests. This super rich and creamy paneer gravy is a favorite for dinner specials or parties.
Not to confuse it with kadhai paneer or paneer butter Masala or paneer tikka, as its different blend of spices and gravy! The gravy consists of cashews, almonds,cream and saffron giving it a super rich blend of flavors! It has a more soft texture and is sweeter compared to the later. Its served with all types of flatbread, naan or rotis and Plain Basmati rice , jeera rice or pulav.
Paneer is cottage cheese made by curdling milk with an acidic agent. It is rich in milk protein, and is a great vegetarian substitute. It is most commonly called as Chenna and is used in various forms and ways in traditional cuisines in India. Some popular Paneer dishes on the blog are
Tips for a great Shahi Paneer Curry
- Paneer should be white , fresh and soft. Prefer homemade paneer.
- If using market bought Paneer, dip the cubes in hot water for 10-15 minutes before use. It will be soft like homemade.
- You can use almonds(Badam) instead of cashews or can use both.
- Use of a good quality thick cream is recommended.
- You can use non flavored beaten soft yogurt instead of cream. But in that case skip tomato and stir the gravy continuously until one boil. Or the gravy might react acidically and curdle.
Lets check out the recipe in detail for this exotic restaurant style shahi paneer in just few minutes.
- 150 gms 150 grams paneer cubes
- 1 medium sized brown onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 cup cashews/almonds /muskmelon seeds
- 10/12 saffron strands
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Full cream
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2-3 peppercorns
- 1-2 green chilies
- 2 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 2 Drops kewara essence (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- Coriander to garnish
- First step is to soak saffron strands in about 1 tbsp warm milk. This releases excellent flavor and colour when we use. You can also soak it in 1 tablespoon warm water.
For the gravy
- In a blender jar blendOnion, tomato, cashews, green chillies ,peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves to a fine thick paste.Use less or just 1 medium sized tomato to enjoy the shahi flavour of milk and cream later.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splatter some cumin seeds in it. Add ginger garlic paste and saute a bit.
- Now add the gravy paste to it and saute. Allow it to release a little oil till you saute.
- Now add the spices like the turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and saute it well. Add salt as per taste.
- Add 1/2 cup water to it and give it a little boil. Add the saffron soaked in milk and stir it well again.
- Now add 1/2 cup of milk and again boil it . Keep stirring to avoid curdling.
- Add 1/2 cup of cream and keep stirring again until it boils.
- Now rub a teaspoon of kasuri methi on your palms and add it to the gravy. Rubbing enhances it's flavour.
- Add paneer cubes to it and cook on a medium flame with the lid for about 4-5 minutes. You can add kewara essence if you like. Add 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- When ready garnish it with sliced almonds , saffron strands and coriander.
- Serve with any choice of bread or naan.
- This exotic recipe is often confused with paneer butter Masala and kadhai paneer or so. But this is totally different and consists of rich and creamy flavors.
Instant pot shahi paneer
- Except paneer, cream and milk, add all ingredients and spices to the Instant Pot. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Set the instant pot to manual or pressure cook mode for 8 minutes.
- After the instant pot beeps, release the pressure naturally. Blend the contents in the instant pot with blender to a smooth paste.
- Add the milk and cream. Stir it nicely.
- Add paneer pieces. Stir them and let it rest for 5 minutes. Keep covered for couple of minutes. Shahi paneer is ready to be served. Garnish with cilantro.
Rich in Protein and full with fats and carbohydrates this dish is a flavorful blend of nutrition. Milk , cream all add up the carbs and its high in calories.
Do check our other varieties of one pot curries in the links below
- Bharwan baingan/Stuffed brinjal
- Shahi Paneer
- Palak Paneer
- Chole masala
- Lobia broccoli curry/Black eyed peas curry
- Split Moong dal
- Pav Bhaji
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com