Palak paneer/Saag Paneer is paneer/cottage cheese cooked in green gravy. This Vegetarian gravy is made of spinach and is an extremely popular dish in the Indian subcontinent. Apart from soups and smoothies Spinach is widely used in this curry.
Palak paneer is yet another popular dish of paneer along with shahi paneer. Infact palak paneer is more commonly and widely cooked in day to day vegetarian homes.
Check our other paneer recipes on the blog
It’s a great way of eating greens along with a few spices and cream (optional)
It’s healthy, creamy, and gravy. We can have it with rice, naan, roti, paratha….So it’s versatile!
Infact Spinach in this recipe can be replaced with a variety of greens like Bathua, spring mix etc.
I love it because it’s very easy to prepare and everyone loves to eat it. It’s a great dish for regular as well as party pot meals.
Kids love it and I try to serve it maximum because it’s a great source of protein and fibers which otherwise might be fuzzy with greens.
And of course vegans will love it too as I make it with tofu/ soy Chunks and without cream as well.
So let’s check the video recipe
The detailed recipe instructions with instant pot directions.
Saag paneer / Palak paneer
To blanch spinach
- 5 cups spinach leaves clean and washed.
- Water for boiling
- salt and Pinch of baking soda (baking soda helps retain green colour)
For the gravy
- 150 gms 150 grams of cubed paneer/cottage cheese or Vegans can use Fried tofu cubes / Fried soy chunks
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies (or as per preference)
- 2 tbsp Garam masala
- Salt as per taste
- 2-3 tbsp fresh unsweetened cream(optional)
- Oil for cooking
- In a pot boil water along with a pinch of salt and soda . Add the spinach leaves to blanch them. Cook the spinach until soften. Do not overcook as the colour will change.
- When the spinach turns soft and cooked remove it from the heat and strain it. Keep the water as we will use it in the gravy .
- In a blender puree the blanched spinach along with green chillies and ginger as per spice preference.
- In a pan/wok heat 2 teaspoon oil.
- You can add chopped onions, saute and then puree them or add pureed onion and saute.
- After which add tomatoes and cook them until soft or add tomato puree and cook.
- Now add pinch of turmeric, 2 tbsp garam masala and saute.
- Now add the pureed spinach and mix well.
- Add the paneer cubes to it.Add salt as per taste. (We had added while blanching too) so be careful.
- Now add 1/2-1 cup of water to the gravy and cook for about 2-3 min. (You can use the stock from the blanching)
- Add about 2-3 tablespoon of cream to it and cook for couple of minutes more. (optional)Palak paneer is ready to serve with a choice of bread or rice.
Instant Pot palak paneer
- Set instant pot on saute mode. Heat 2 tbsp oil
- Saute onions and tomatoes (chopped)
- Now add spices like the garam masala , turmeric
- Now add the spinach and 1 cup water turn off the saute mode.
- Add salt as per taste
- Close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position. Set on manual or pressure cook mode on high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Release pressure manually after 5 minutes of beep.
- Using an immersion blender blend all the ingredients well until a paste.
- Add the Paneer cubes and switch on saute mode again for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the paneer to cook with the gravy and soak in the flavours. switch off the instant pot in 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the palak paneer with cream and choice of bread.
- Spinach and paneer can be fresh or frozen.
- Always add a pinch of salt or soda while blanching spinach to retain the fresh green colour.
- Do not over cook as the colour of spinach will turn pale.
- You can make it spicy by adding more chillies.
- Adding cream can be optional or can be replaced with non flavoured yogurt.
- Onions and tomatoes can also be pureed separately and used instead of chopping.
- You can even fry paneer cubes before adding them. But suggested is non fried as the spinach curry penetrates in the pores and gives a great flavour which fried one wont.
- Vegans replace paneer cubes with fried tofu or fried soy chunks
- I made this palak paneer without cream. You can add any fresh table cream or vegan coconut cream.
Spinach is a healthy fibre and contains high amount of iron and protein. try to use spinach in your everyday diet. Paneer is also a great source of calcium and protein
Do check our other varieties of one pot curries in the links below
- Bharwan baingan/Stuffed brinjal
- Shahi Paneer
- Chole masala
- Lobia broccoli curry/Black eyed peas curry
- Split Moong dal
- Pav Bhaji
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com