Methi matar malai is a creamy gravy curry made with fenugreek leaves and green peas. This lovely one pot curry is a combination of seasonal vegetables with a rich and creamy cashew gravy is a must try in winters. We love to enjoy it with naan or rotis. Its a semisweet and spicy combination of flavours and one of the rich menu mains!!
This North Indian curry is a popular entree for winters in India. However with frozen foods and easy availability of seasonal foods it can be made anytime and with various ingredient options. This curry is the best way to feed methi as the bitterness of the fenugreek leaves dosent last and the richness of cream and cashews allows it be heavy and delightful.
Some of my popular methi and green peas recipes are on the blog here.
What goes in methi matar malai?
This gravy is a beautiful blend of cashews, poppy seeds, and cream along with cream or milk. Unlike other punjabi curries this doesn’t call for any tomato paste or puree. Cashews bind the curry so well and gives it a great taste. Cream balances the thick texture and the curry is thus a great blend.
If you want a vegan curry you may increase the quantity of cashews or just replace regular cream with coconut cream. I love cashews and some of my other cashew recipes on the blog are.
Let’s check the recipe for methi matar malai in detail.
Methi Matar Malai
- 1 cup chopped methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves) Fresh or Frozen
- 1 cup green peas (Boiled) Fresh or Frozen
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 finely chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3-4 Green chillies
- 1.5 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup fresh cream/Coconut cream/Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as per taste as per taste
- 1 teasp sugar (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste to it and saute a bit.
- Add chopped onion to it and saute until translucent and soft.
- Now add cashews, and poppy seeds and saute for some more time.
- Add green chillies and switch of the flame.
- Allow it to cool.
- Now make a paste of it in a blender jar.
- Now in the same pan heat a teasp oil again.
- Add the gravy paste to it and cook for about a minute. The gravy starts releasing fat.
- Add methi leaves (fenugreek) to it and saute.
- Now add the green peas and saute.
- Now add about 1 tablespoon of garam masala and saute again. Add salt and sugar as per taste.
- Now and 1/2 cup fresh cream and allow it to come to a boil.
- Also add 1/2 cup or less of water to it . Allow it to cook for few minutes.
- Ready to garnish and serve.
Instant pot Recipe
- Heat oil in the instant pot on saute mode. Splatter cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste.Add chopped onion to it and saute. Now add cashews, and poppy seeds and saute for some more time. Add green chillies and switch off the pot.
- Now make a fine paste of this sauteed material.
- Switch on instant pot again and heat 1 tsp oil in the same pot.
- Saute this cashew paste well in for about 2-3 minutes.Now add methi leaves and saute.Add the boiled green peas and saute about a minute.Add 1 tbsp of garam masala and saute again.
- Now add fresh cream or coconut cream or almond milk to the gravy and stir well.Add salt and sugar as per taste.
- Turn the vent in sealing position.Cook on high pressure manual for 1 minutes and then natural pressure release.
- Stir well and add 1/2 cup or less water if too thick. Allow 1 boil on saute mode if adding water.
- Serve with a garnish of dry fruits.
Do check our other varieties of one pot curries in the links below
- Bharwan baingan/Stuffed brinjal
- Shahi Paneer
- Palak Paneer
- Chole masala
- Lobia broccoli curry/Black eyed peas curry
- Split Moong dal
- Pav Bhaji
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com