Veg Puffs / Pattice is a popular snack which you get in Indian Bakeries. This snack is a veggie stuffed puff pastry sheet which tastes delicious with the stuffing in it. These pastries are a small recreation of the Hindustan bakery Pattice which we had growing up in Pune. Few day back I had posted the Puff pastry sheet recipe and also tried the Cream rolls with it. With many requests posting these pastries with those sheets now.
Veggie puffs are made using a filling made out of various veggies like the potatoes, peas, carrots, corn etc. I have used only potato and peas since that is the authentic recipe for veggie puffs. These puffs are stuffed with the filling and baked to eat a crispy and spicy little snack.
Making homemade pastry dough
If you wish to make the pastry sheets at home a simple recipe for it is on the blog link here.
You can also make it with any other market bought pastry sheets. Make sure to thaw the sheets in the refrigerator and follow the directions on the packet.
Veggie puffs is a common snack served at breakfast, or Hi tea and is popular appetizer for parties too. The stuffing can vary from only potatoes too others like peas or mix veggies, cheese and corn , mushrooms or even onions. Depends on what you like to have in it and spice level as per choice.
Some other popular snacks and appetizer on the blog are
- Khaman sandwich
- Papdi chaat
- Falafel patties
- Dahi vada
- Beetroot cutlets
- Dudhi muthiya
- Kothimbir vadi
Let’s check the veggie puffs recipe in detail below.
Veg Puffs / Pattice
- Puff Pastry Sheets (Check link in notes)
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 cup Dried Green Peas OR Fresh green peas
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 3-4 Green chillies and curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 Tsp Amchur powder/Citric acid crystals
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
- Thaw your puff pastry sheets well in the refrigerator. If kept out for long they may melt and layers may not form properly.
- Boil the soaked dried peas and potatoes well so that we can mash them.I did 3 whistles in a pressure cooker and 5 minutes on simmer with natural pressure release.
- Now in a grinder pot grind green chillies, ginger, garlic and curry leaves to a paste.
- Now in a pan heat 2 tablespoon oil.
- Saute the chilli garlic paste for couple of minutes.Now add the spices like the garam masala, turmeric, coriander powder and amchur powder
- Now add the mashed peas and potatoes to it and saute it well. Add salt and incorporate well.
Filling the Puffs
- Thaw the Pastry sheets in the refrigerator. If pastry dough then roll it in a 1/2 cm thick and cut them into small squares of about 4/5 cm each.
- Now add 2 tablespoon of the filling to each of the sheets.
- Now close the sheets by matching 2 sides with the other 2 sides. Seal the sides with a little water.
- Lay them on the baking tray with a 3 cm distance between 2. Brush some milk on the puffs.
- Preheat the oven @375* for 10 minutes.
- Now bake the pastries in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Allow cool down for about 5 minutes.These puffs are ready to serve with your favourite dip.
- We love them with ketchup and a cup of tea!
- Check this recipe for homemade eggless puff pastry sheets.
- You can use homemade sheets or market bought.
- Green Peas are suggested dried green peas soaked overnight . But if you dont have then fresh or frozen peas is fine too.
- You can use any other veggies if you like in it like the carrots or corn. Peas can be skipped too.
- Bake until nice golden brown edges and top.
- Brushing with milk will give a good colour.
Also check our other popular eggless recipes here
- Eggless red velvet brownies
- Vegan, Gluten free raspberry muffins
- Eggless Banana bread
- Avocado Oatmeal Cookies
- Eggless Chocolate chip cookies
- Eggless mini pineapple cherry cheesecake
- Egg free Ladyfingers
- Eggless swiss roll
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org