Eggless Christmas plum/fruit cake! Yay it’s christmas and its time for this yummy plum cake. It tastes just superb. The bake, the perfect caramelized colour and the the no rum but rum taste. My kitchen smells aroma and we all are awaiting this time of the year. Just like the gingerbread cookies we all love the aroma and the warmth these baking goodies leave after in my home.
Traditionally it is made by soaking the dry fruits and fruits in rum for an year or a month early. I made it using the fruits soaked for a month long. Check how to soak the dry fruits for christmas cake. I replaced rum with cranberry or apple and grape juice which gives a close to rum taste though different. You can soak the fruits for an year, month , week or even a day before. Soak them in rum, wine or non alcoholic cakes in cranberry, apple or orange juice.
It tastes good. It was super easy as I made it with condensed milk and the spices still warm up my home. It can also be made using my eggless sponge recipe and incorporating soaked fruits in them. I used cocoa and honey to give a nice brown colour. Kerala fruit cake is made with caramelized sugar.
Soaked in juices this aromatic fruit cake is a must try this christmas. Also check my other eggless desserts and cakes on the blog links
- Eggless red velvet brownies
- Pumpkin brownies
- Chocolate vanilla swiss rolls
- Vegan, Gluten free raspberry muffins
- Eggless Banana bread
- Avocado Oatmeal Cookies
- Eggless Chocolate chip cookies
- Eggless mini pineapple cherry cheesecake
- Egg free Ladyfingers
Let us check the detailed recipe. We need the pre soaked dry fruits a day before or at least 2 hours before baking. Check the link on blog soaking fruits for the christmas cake.
Christmas fruit cake (Eggless and non alcohol)
Marinating the pre soaked dry fruits
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg and clove power
- 2 tbsp mixed fruit jam or sugar
- 3 tbsp Apple, orange grape juice (mix same proportion together and measure)
For the cake
- 2 cups Pre Soaked fruits (Approximately 2/2.25 cups of fruits)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk (397 gm tin)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract/almond extract
- 1 teasp baking soda
- 1 teasp baking powder
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp apple, orange or grape juice for soaking cake after baking
Marinating the pre soaked fruits
- A day before or at least 2 hours before baking remove and strain all the soaked dry fruits in a bowl.
- Add the cinnamon powder, nutmeg and clove power, mixed fruit jam, apple/orange and grape juice (mix same proportion together and measure)to marinate and keep it overnight or for 2 hours.
- If using alcohol strain and marinate the fruits as mentioned above.
- Mix all of them and cover it with cling wrap. Keep refrigerated for 12 hours or 2 hours.
Next day baking
- Line up a 8* cake tin with parchment paper.
- Take butter and whisk it until it turns white.
- Now add brown sugar to it and whisk
- Now add honey and vanilla extract and whisk again
- Add whole tin (397gm) condensed milk and whisk again.
- Add cocoa, baking powder and baking soda and fold gently. Do not speed up as it will create air pockets
- Now pour this into the soaked fruit mix we set yesterday. Add orange zest.
- Now add the all purpose flour to it and fold the batter gently.
- Pour mix into cake pans lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 180°c or 350*F for about 55-60 minutes.
- Keep checking with the toothpick test at 50th minute.
- Remove the cake and line it on cooling rack.
- After completely cooked pour 2-3 tbsp of apple and grape juice combined on the cake. The pores will soak it and give it a flavour.
- Slice it and serve it with hot chocolate or your favorite tea or coffee.
- Use all the ingredients at room temperature.
- You may soak your dry fruits in rum or wine too. They may have a strong flavour. (taste with juices and alcohol will vary)
- Remember to take out the soaked dry fruits from the fridge 2 hours before baking.
- Juices can be freshly squeezed or store bought. You can even use only orange juice.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients.
- Cake pan can be any shape.
- Pour batter half level in any of the pans giving room for the cake to rise and give space.
- Cake may take more time to bake depending from oven to oven. anything between 1 to 1.5 hours. Check using a toothpick and bake until it comes out clean.
Check these other eggless desserts on the blog links below
- Coconut Fudge
- Rose panna cotta
- Pan shot panna cotta
- Carrot pudding
- Rice pudding
- Cashew bites/ fudge
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at email@example.com