These beauties are baked from scratch. Comment if you grew up eating these. Cream rolls or cream puffs are one of the yummiest dessert/ snack out of a puff pastry. These cream rolls are made from homemade puff pastry sheets with all butter and flour and no nonsense.
These flaky, crispy and light sweet bites are super nostalgic. I grew up having these sweet rolls in my breakfast or tea time. I loved it having with my milk in the morning. Sometimes I even dipped it in chocolate sauce and enjoyed every bite. We even have the savoury puffs with tea. (Check rcp in link)
Past 5 years I am in USA and I miss these rolls from my native place. Especially eggless. Whenever I travel to India I get them while returning. This pandemic forced me to try them, as its uncertain now when we will travel. I followed this recipe from @masalajourney and these were a great success in first attempt itself.
What goes in these rolls?
For these cream rolls I made the puff pastry sheets from scratch. I had a batch of sheets in the refrigerator. I rolled them and cut them into 1 inch stripes. Then rolled these stripes on cones and stainless steel straws. Baked them and I got these beautiful hollow puffs. Upon cooling I filled them with sweet cream made from heavy whipping cream. And these rolls were ready.
Important things to be followed
The most important thing in these rolls is the pastry sheets. To be flaky and light these sheets need to be chilled and thawed in refrigerator NOT room temperature. If the butter in the sheets melt the pastry will not be thin and flaky. If in any condition the pastry is soft and is melting after wrapping it on cones/doggles freeze them again before baking.
For this recipe we need puff pastry sheets. You can make them at home easily. Follow recipe link here. You can also use the store bought sheets.
Let’s check the recipe in detail
Eggless Cream Rolls
Puff Pastry Roll
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Salted/unsalted butter 1 stick
- 1 teasp salt Skip if using salted butter
- 1 cup whole whipping cream
- 4 tbsp castor sugar/confectioners sugar
- 2 teasp corn starch
- 1/2 teasp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cocoa optional if want chocolate cream
Puff Pastry Roll
- Refer my recipe for eggless puff pastry for a puff pastry sheet.
- Thaw the sheet until pliable in refrigerator and roll it about 1/2 inch thick and equal.
- Now cut 1 inch stripes on the sheet.
- We will roll these stripes on a cone. If we dont have any we can make cone shapes or straw shapes out of a thick foil crumble.I used my steel straws as it gave a good shape and a hollow inside to fill enough cream.
- While rolling we will overlap each layer a tiny bit over the other. Brush these rolls with milk or butter before baking for a pretty golden colour.
- Now bake these in the preheated oven at 400* for about 20-25 minutes or until you see a golden crust.
- Remove the straws after baking and allow the rolls to completely cool down.
- These hollow rolls are ready for cream filling.
- In a cold bowl add 1 cup of chilled whipping cream
- Start whipping for about 2 minutes. Then add 4 tbsp castor sugar and vanilla extract and whip again for another 5-6 minutes or until stiff peaks formed.
- Now add 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch and whipp about a minute again. This adds stiffness to the cream. Do not overdo, and do not over whip.
- At this stage fill the whipped cream in the piping bags with a round tip and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Allow the rolls to cool completely before cream filling. Otherwise the warm rolls may melt the cream inside.
- Now after cooling completely fill the hollow rolls with cream until the tip.
- These cream rolls are ready to go!!
- Make pastry sheets ahead of time or you can make it just at the time.
- Bake the rolls as soon as the pastry sheets are rolled. If the sheets start melting you won’t get the flakes as desired.
- Allow the rolls to cool completely before filling cream.
- The cream can be plain vanilla or chocolate any.
Also check our other popular eggless recipes here
- Eggless red velvet brownies
- Vegan, Gluten free raspberry muffins
- Eggless Banana bread
- Avocado Oatmeal Cookies
- Eggless Chocolate chip cookies
- Eggless mini pineapple cherry cheesecake
- Egg free Ladyfingers
- Eggless swiss roll
If you like and try this recipe do write reviews in the comment section below.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org