Bhatura is a famous fluffed fried bread from northern India. It is popularly served with chole and pickles.It is like a fluffy puri made from a leavened bread. Unlike kondule or pumpkin puris these are made by proofing the dough by adding yeast or baking soda and then the puris are rolled and deep fried.
These bhaturas are then served with the chana masala curry popularly known as the Chole Bhature.
They are also made by stuffing Paneer or Potato filling. These plain bhatures are the most popular street food from Delhi and Punjab and is the life of Punjabi food.
They are fluffy, soft and a bit chewy. They taste delicious with Chole and is a must try.
Let’s check the recipe for bhatura below.
- 1.5 cup All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 4 tbsp non flavoured yogurt/Vegan yogurt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- Oil for frying
- Salt as per taste
If using Yeast
- In a bowl take about 1 cup of warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar to it and add 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast and stir. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes. The yeast rises and can be used in the dough for kneading.
- Add 2 cups of all purpose flour to the yeast and salt and knead a soft dough.
- Cover it and rest for at least 2 hours.
Bhatura using Baking soda
- In a mixing bowl take all purpose flour, salt, yogurt , semolina , baking soda and baking powder. Mix all ingredients with a little water to make a medium soft dough. Do not add too much water. The dough should be of the consistency to roll.
- Keep the dough covered for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours thaw the dough well. Stretch it and knead it well before rolling.Heat oil for frying in a wok.
- Make dough balls and start rolling the bhature. You can use either the yeast dough or the baking soda dough.
- Make sure to roll one at a time and fry immediately. Once rolled slowly slide it in the hot oil. The bhature starts ballooning. After fully ballooned flip it gently and allow it to cook until light golden crisp.
- Serve these balloon bhature with chole when hot. Side it with the famous Chole, Gajar Ka achar, sirke ka onion and enjoy your delicacy.
Also check our other 30 minute dinner recipes
- Burnt garlic Quinoa Pilaf
- Mango curd rice
- Creamy parsley pesto pasta
- Mint rice
- Sriracha paneer fried rice
- Lemon Alfredo pasta
We would like to hear from you. If you try this recipe please let us know in the comments below.
You can also email me at email@example.com